First, let me answer a few questions: What is the Paleo Diet?
Paleo (short for Paleolithic) is based off the diet of the 'original man', designed to interact with genetics in order to best fuel performance. Todays modern diet is chalk full of refined foods, trans fats and sugar…resulting in degenerative diseases (has anyone ever heard of obesity!? It's sort of a big deal), cancer, diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, depression and even infertility. The paleo diet encourages you to focus on whole foods, unrefined and unprocessed in order that the vitamins and minerals found in these foods can be best processed and utilised by our bodies.
What CAN you eat on the Paleo Diet?
Lean Proteins: support strong muscles, healthy bones and immune function.
Fruits and Vegetables: rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients…decreasing your risk of falling prey to all of those bad things listed above.
Healthy Fats: Nuts, avocados, olive and coconut oil, etc. Monounsaturated and Omega 3 fats reduce instances of obesity, cancer, heart disease and cognitive decline.
What to avoid/limit:
- Processed Food
* Are all of those things bad for you? NO! Not at all. Oatmeal, beans, quinoa…those are still healthy food items, however, some research shows that our bodies are not designed to best digest and utilise these starches. The Paleo method encourages the consumption of foods that have the highest calorie-per-caloire nutrient density (aka. loaded with vitamins and minerals). When food groups were compared in a 'Paleo vs. American Diet' study, it was found that grains and dairy don't rate very high.
Why am I doing it?
1. For improved athletic performance and recovery.
2. To boost immunity. Pay for medicine in form of food now, or pay for prescriptions later. I choose the former.
3. Food is my job. I like to play and I love the challenge!
Wanna try it!? I challenge you to give it a go for 7 days. Clean out your pantry. Eliminate all the tempting sugary, processed snacks. Hit up the market or grocery store and shop the perimeter (poultry, seafood, beef, LOTS of veggies, fruits, coconut oil, avocados, sweet potatoes, etc.). Go Paleo for a week and see how much better your body feels without all that processed sh*t. I've found some great recipes on Paleomg.com and in Diane Sanfilippo's book, Practical Paleo.
Your meals should look like this:
- 4-8 oz. of lean protein
- several servings of multicoloured vegetables (raw, steamed or lightly cooked)
- rounded out with good fats, such as olive oil or a handful of unsalted nuts.
Who's with me? Stay tuned for food pictures and updates!
Eat well. Live well. Be well.