I was recently reading an article written by Mike Geary, author of The Fat-Burning Kitchen & The Top 101 Foods That Fight Aging and was astonished by some of the figures he reported. So astonished that I've decided to go Paleo in 2014! But, more about that later…for now, I feel the need to share his words with you. The average adult eating a typical modern Western diet (US, Canada, Australia, etc.) consumes approximately 67% of their diet from the following 3 foods: Corn, Soy and Wheat! What!?
Based on human history our digestive systems are equipped to process anywhere from 1-4% of these foods and their derivatives. What do I mean by derivatives?
- high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)
- corn oil
- soybean oil (hydrogenated or plain refined)
- soy protein
- refined wheat flour
- hundreds of other food additives such as maltodextrin, corn or wheat starch, soy lecithin, mono and diglycerides, etc, etc
Open your pantry and look at the ingredients on a box of cereal, salad dressing or flavored beverage. I guarantee that HFCS is among them. Think about what you ate today. Did you have bread? Crackers? Cookies? Other flour-based products? All of which are calorie laden products lacking in nutrient density. The obesity epidemic and rising occurrences of food allergies and sensitivities is allllll starting to make more sense. Why do we eat so much of these three things? Money. The million-dollar corn, soy and wheat industries don't care about your delicate insides, they're just trying to mass produce as many products as they can and get 'em off grocery store shelves and into your hands.
And here's where it gets worse…not only are we feeding ourselves with these 3 harmful ingredients but the farm animals we raise for food are also being pumped full of corn, soy and wheat! AH! So, we all know that cows are supposed to eat grass, right? Well, somewhere along the production line we pump 'em full of corn (the same goes for chickens and fish - we feed them corn and soy) to the point where they get sick (E-coli anyone?) and the end result is a slab of sick meat ready for you and me to eat. Yum.
Are you grossed out yet? Appalled? Ready to strike? Okay, okay, I realise that not all of you are activists of grass-fed beef but don't grow complacent just yet. Why are corn, soy and wheat so bad for us?
- Our bodies need both Omega 3s and Omega 6s, as it is now we are getting close to 30x the Omega 6s we need, resulting in certain types of cancers, inflammation in the body and weight gain.
- Foreign gluten proteins in crops today results in a rise of gluten intolerance. Let me tell you, eating out with a GF requirement is a pain in the tush. "Can you make that without breadcrumbs, hold the croutons, oh! and does that dressing have any wheat in it?"
- Excessive consumption of corn and wheat flours can result in weight gain, severe blood sugar fluctuations and reduced insulin sensitivity (hello diabetes).
- Soy and corn are among the most genetically modified crops, resulting in skewed hormones and increased fat storage.
So, after all that…who wants a sandwich? Am I telling you to completely cut out corn, soy and wheat? Not necessarily. But as you continue through the week, try eliminating products with high fructose corn syrup, wheat flour and corn oil listed in the ingredients. Get an idea of just how much of those toxic ingredients you put in your body (and feed your children). If it inspires you to take more drastic measures, GREAT! If not, at least now you are an informed consumer!
Eat well. Live well. Be well.